princess genevieve

mardi, juillet 24, 2007

My Best Friend

I went last night to a last minute screening of the French movie My Best Friend. This was a very sweet movie and my friends and I all liked it a lot.

A couple of observations, though. First, the two people sitting directly behind me and Alison got up and left after about 2 minutes of the movie. Now, considering the one sitting behind me was kicking the back of my seat, and the one sitting behind Alison was chattering away during the opening credits, I was not at all sorry to see them go. But they got up, loudly, and said, "This is in FRENCH!" Um. OK. It shouldn't be a surprise. No one else walked out so I think everyone else was prepared to read and also liked the movie.

The second observation? The subtitles! Sometimes they leave things out. Sometimes they are just flat out wrong. For example:

Characters in the movie say:

Francois: Do you have plans tonight?
Catherine: I'm meeting friends for dinner.

Subtitles say:

Francois: Are you eating tonight?
Catherine: Yes, with friends.

WHY did they change that? It made absoultely no difference to the storyline! How weird.

Libellés :

4 Comments:

At 7/24/2007 3:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I wonder why they change the subtitles as well to not reflect the actual dialogue. I have noticed that in a couple of German/Spanish movies.

 
At 7/24/2007 4:27 PM, Blogger Amie said...

That is strange. Sometimes one of the boys will mess with the tv and turn on the closed captioning. Then I'm too lazy to shut it off so I will sit there and read the captions and I find that they change those sometimes too. I think it's mostly to shorten the the dialog though.

 
At 7/24/2007 10:35 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

I saw this movie a few weeks ago when I was on holidays. It was surprisingly sweet.
I notice the abbreviated subtitling a lot in movies. Sometimes I think it's do with space and sometimes I think it's to do with interpreting the context of the idiom rather than providing a literal translation.

 
At 7/25/2007 11:37 AM, Blogger Amy M. said...

YOu know, I have noticed that about Spanish subtitles too. I guess they use short phrases for people who are slower readers.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home