princess genevieve

mercredi, janvier 16, 2008

Franglais to the Extreme

When I am in Brussels, I try to mostly speak French outside of the office, where we pretty much always speak English. (Except in hotels, where for some reason I just cannot be bothered unless it's to my advantage.)

Last night, I went out to dinner with some friends. We were speaking English all night, except we'd order stuff in this weird combination of French, English, and pointing at the menu. I think our waitress caught on, and was speaking in her own combination of French and English.

When it came time to pay, we asked them to put €50 on my card, and the balance on Jan's card. At the same time, I got up to go to the bathroom. The waitress said to me, as we were walking towards the back of the restraunt, "You want me to put cinquante euros on this card?" and I said, "oui, fifty, sont ou les toilettes?" Her reply? "En bas, to the left."

I think maybe this kind of thing happens to everyone who speaks more than one language, but it never fails to amuse me.

Libellés :

1 Comments:

At 1/17/2008 10:29 PM, Blogger alt.ayu said...

ahaha! i laughed when i read this. and i understand perfectly too~!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home