princess genevieve

dimanche, novembre 07, 2004

Pharmacy Blues

Ok, so I am going on vacation on Wednesday. Going to California with Robin to see Sarah & Cap. We're going to Disneyland (yay!) and to the beach and to eat Mexican food from walk up stands and just basically be on vacation in California. Whatever that may entail.

So as a result, I decided on Friday I better make sure I had enough of all my medications. There was one that I take daily that I needed to refill, so I called in the refill on Friday night, and the automated phone system told me it would be ready on Saturday after 1 pm. Which was yesterday, I'd like to point out. I didn't make it to the pharmacy to pick it up until today around noon. Why was I there until almost 1:00, you may ask? I'll tell you.

When I told the pharmacist my name, he looked in the "M" box, and couldn't find my prescription. Which of course he didn't bother to tell me, he just mumbled something and started typing into the computer. At this point, there is one person behind me. So then another 10 minutes go by, still nothing, and another person has joined the line. About 10 minutes later, he says, "Oh, I can't print out a label; the printer is broken." So I'm all, "um, what about the one I was supposed to get yesterday?" and he says, "well, I can't find it, it's not in the 'M' box, so it must have gotten lost." I then suggested he just give me the pills without a label. I didn't think this was an unreasonable suggestion, since these aren't pills that even need to be counted. I get them in the original manufacturer's packaging. He looked at me like I was crazy, and then I kind of lost it. Started ranting about how I called on Friday, and how I am going on VACATION and I need the pills and I can't come back later to get them. The people in the line are talking about me.

He finally handed me my pills, with a label and everything. I think if he had just said he was sorry and it was going to take a minute, I would have been OK. Instead, I got mad, and almost told him to call the other pharmacy across the street and I'd go over there instead. I do think sometimes I get unreasonably mad/irritated at people, but really, it takes so little to keep me calm. A simple apology would have done the trick.