princess genevieve

mercredi, novembre 02, 2005

I'm such a baby

I just got my flu shot. I really, really hate shots. I got the flu shot for 2 reasons this year. First, I was listening to NPR the other day and they started talking about bird flu and how it kills healthy 20 and 30 year olds. While I know this shot isn't for bird flu, maybe it will still help. And the other reason? My mom told me to. Oh yeah, and it was free, since I got it at work.

I've always hated needles. Last time I got a tetanus shot, I had fallen off my bike in New Orleans. I went to the clinic at Tulane, and they just gave me a shot without me knowing what they were doing. When I lived in France when I was in college, to go back to Trinity (my regular school), I had to have a TB test. I waited until the very last possible second to get this thing. I don't know why. I knew they weren't going to get rid of the requirement because I don't like needles.

I've also never given blood. I'm actually not allowed to give blood in the US, because I might have mad cow disease! (from living in France, where mad cow is la vache folle.) Sometimes I feel a little guilty about this, but mostly, I feel relieved. And then guilty that I feel relieved. It's a vicious cycle, I'm telling you.

5 Comments:

At 11/03/2005 10:39 AM, Blogger Bridget Unnel said...

I give blood and platelets fairly religously. In fact, that's my "tradition" for observing Sept. 11 every year. My husband is a Brit and it boild his blood (no pun intended) to know his red stuff is rejected here!

 
At 11/03/2005 10:42 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

it's that crazy cow! which probably isn't even transmissible by blood. and they don't even care if you are a vegetarian. your husband is like me, a blood outlaw!

 
At 11/03/2005 6:58 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

I find that the anticipation of needles is always worse than the actual shot, but I've managed to get by in my life with a minimum of needles. I got the flu vaccine at work this year - hey, if they're paying, why the hell not eh?

 
At 11/07/2005 10:15 AM, Blogger Amie said...

With my last pregnancy the discovered my ruebella immunity was gone (I still think it was a mistake but whatever) so I knew I had to get that shot after the baby was born. I DREADED that shot for months! Of course the anticipation of it was worse than the shot.

 
At 11/07/2005 10:44 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Amie, I always find the anticipation much worse than the shot! But that memory doesn't help the next time 'round, does it?

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home