princess genevieve

lundi, novembre 07, 2005

What's in a name?

Nabbalicious wants to know where my name came from. And thanks for saying it's pretty! I think so too. I have always loved my name.

I was named after someone. My dad's grandmother, one Genevieve Agnes. My dad's aunt is also Genevieve, but I don't know what her middle name was. My dad's sister is Genevieve May. And I am Genevieve IV, aka Genevieve Lynn.

My aunt is called Gigi. My dad calls her Genevieve, though, and confuses the whole family, including me and Gigi. Once, when I was over at my aunt's house, some sales guy called for Genevieve and my cousin handed the phone to me.

When I was about 6, I thought my name was too long and too hard for other kids. I wanted everyone to call me Evie. My mom said no. And I'm glad that she did. Evie is cute, but Genevieve is much more elegant.

I also love that my name is pretty in French, too. It's just a coincidence that I speak French. No one else in my family does. When I was in third grade, they started after-school French classes at my school, and my mom signed me up. It stuck with me. The only thing that's annoying is that I do not have an accent on my name when written, but in French it does. So whenever someone has to write my name, I have to say "Genevieve-sans-accent." And they think that's crazy. Most of my French friends write it with the accent. That's OK, but even in French, I write it without the accent.

Also, a tip to all the people who ask when they first meet me if they can call me "Gen"? The answer is no. People generally introduce themselves as what they want to be called. I know my name is long. Deal with it. I don't mind if people I know call me Gen, but you need to get to know me before that.

3 Comments:

At 11/07/2005 1:38 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

you're welcome! Thanks for the question.

 
At 11/08/2005 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

It's fun hearing where names come from. I've known one other friend named Genevieve. She moved into my high school junior year, and we had trouble saying her name at first, so she ended up with the nickname "V". It didn't take us too long to get it right, but the nickname stuck, and sometimes I forget that a single letter is not an actual, acceptable short form of Genevieve. :)

 
At 11/11/2005 3:36 PM, Blogger Molly said...

I agree, Genevieve is much better than a shortened version. Only my brother got a name that was ever shortened, I always felt shortchanged when I was younger, I SO wanted a nickname *laugh*

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home