princess genevieve

mardi, février 07, 2006

Adventures on the Metro



This morning, pre-work, I met Alison at the zoo to see the baby panda again. No pictures this time, as he was asleep in a tree, and while it was cute, it wasn't all that exciting.

Anyway. I took the metro from the zoo into work, and hooray, there was a fight! This guy was reading a picture book to his pre-school aged child. The woman next to him was rolling her eyes, shaking her head, holding her ears closed, and making weird noises. Finally, the dad turned to her and said:

(Dad): Do you have a problem with me reading to my son?
Woman: Well, it's just that you're being very loud about it.
Dad: Not really. I'm reading more quietly than I am speaking to you right now. (which was true, I must add)
Woman: You are shouting in my ear.
Dad: I think you are being very rude.
Woman: I didn't say anything.
Dad: You were moaning and groaning.
Woman: I think you are being very rude.
Dad: I think you need to find a new seat.

Which pretty much ended the fight. The woman didn't move. The dad continued to read. The woman continued to hold her ears closed. At one point, the little boy's toy bunny's ears landed on the woman's arm. She flicked the ears off like they were poison.

What a grouchy way to start your day. I wonder if that woman has ever spent any time around children. The kid was being really good, and probably because his dad was reading to him.

8 Comments:

At 2/07/2006 1:25 PM, Blogger Amy M. said...

That woman is ridiculous! How often do you get the chance to be around a well-behaved child who can be entertained by being read to when you are out in a public place? I would have spoken to her myself if I had been there! I can't stand people like that.

 
At 2/07/2006 3:35 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Yikes! Some people can be so rude. I find that reading to your well behaved child is a less obtrusive way to pass the time than yakking on your cell phone which many people do.

 
At 2/07/2006 3:41 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

yeah, you guys are both right! plus, I mean, it's not the library or a movie or something. You are allowed to talk on the metro.

 
At 2/07/2006 4:46 PM, Blogger Jasclo said...

stupid lady. being rude to people is probably her play time.

 
At 2/08/2006 10:53 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

yeah, Amie, I think you're right. I'm sure he was showing a lot of restraint!

 
At 2/08/2006 10:53 AM, Blogger Amie said...

Sounds like the dad handled it better than a lot of people might.

 
At 2/08/2006 2:13 PM, Blogger Jay said...

This woman we had a woman give birth on a subway platform during morning rush hour. Now that was excitement!

 
At 2/10/2006 1:04 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Oh my gosh, Miss Jay, that completely is excitement!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home