princess genevieve

jeudi, juillet 13, 2006

Dear Princess #3

A reader in the United States landed here by googling "my card got demagnatized." USA, I so hear you. I've often had this problem. Now, I'm not sure what type of card we're dealing with, so I will offer several solutions. If it's a metro card, and you're using a paper ticket, switch over to the SmarTrip card! No more demagnitization. This, of course, is only a solution if you were actually talking about a paper DC metro fare card. If you were taking about a credit card or a bank card, there's not a lot you can do. Call your bank and get a new card sent to you, pronto. Also ask them for the little sleeve. It looks dorky, but it helps.

A reader in the UK ended up here by googling "what's the phobia called when your [sic] scared of beans?" Wow. Excellent question, and one that even when I corrected the spelling to say "you're" I couldn't find an answer to. I found a list of phobias, and phobia of beans wasn't on there. Seriously, you're scared of beans? Or were you googling for a "friend"? Either way, I'm sorry I can't be more help. Maybe one of my regular readers has an idea? Or even knows the answer!

7 Comments:

At 7/13/2006 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Actually, your plastic metro card can get demagnatized. It has happened to me. The metro manager told me not to put my ipod next to my metro card, apparently, the ipod is greatest culprit of metro card demagnatization.

 
At 7/13/2006 2:38 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

oh, really? That I did not know. I will have to remember that. I keep my plastic metro card in a plastic case (my old Carte Orange case from when I lived in France) so maybe that's why it has never happened to me.

 
At 7/13/2006 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I love your answer column posts! How do you find out the google stats?

 
At 7/13/2006 10:54 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

hmmm... fear of beans... that might depend on the type of bean. If it were broad beans, then perhaps Fabavulgarisaphobia, haricot beans would be Phaseolusvulgarisaphobia and a fear of scarlet runner beans would be Phaseolusmultiflorusaphobia.
Then again, I guess you could cover all bases if you called it Heinzaphobia - 'cos "Beanz Meanz Heinz".
:-P

 
At 7/16/2006 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Genevieve, The OED has 577 entries containing bean--like bean aphis for black fly. Could be anything. Also, could the speller of "your" mean "full of beans"?

 
At 7/17/2006 10:16 AM, Blogger Molly said...

Love the new look of the site!

Wow...a fear of beans? I don't think I can help with that one. Does anyone know the latin name for beans?

 
At 7/17/2006 10:40 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Anon, hum. V. interesting.

P, too funny :-)

M, thanks!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home