princess genevieve

mercredi, juillet 12, 2006

The Justice System

I had jury duty yesterday. It was very tedious. I had to be there for 8 am (which, I'd like to point out, is my normal getting-up time). Of course, they didn't call me to do anything until 11 am. I was potential juror number 56 out of 61. We sat in the courtroom, learned about the case, and then those of us over number 40 got sent away for 2 hours. Then brought back in. Right when I was second to next to be voir dire-d, the judge told everyone to take their seats for a minute. Which turned into an hour, and then he impaneled the jury, and at 4:00, I got sent home for another two years.

So basically, it was a day of sitting around and waiting, which can be surprisingly tiresome. I read 2 books, knitted part of a sock, and sent Molly bored text messages.

9 Comments:

At 7/12/2006 11:47 AM, Blogger Amie said...

Extra reading time is always good. Neither me or Jeremiah have ever been called for jury duty (yet).

 
At 7/12/2006 12:56 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

you guys are lucky! In the District we get called every two years, almost on the dot.

 
At 7/12/2006 2:59 PM, Blogger Molly said...

I didn't realize that you get called so often, that sucks any fun out of it. I am like Amie, I have never been called for jury duty either.

 
At 7/12/2006 4:05 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

it sure does! It's funny, I was telling my friend Alison I had jury duty, and she thought to herself, "hummm, I'm about due" and like 2 days later she got her summons.

 
At 7/12/2006 9:06 PM, Blogger Jasclo said...

Lalalalala. I hope I don't get called now.

 
At 7/12/2006 9:16 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

I've never been called for jury duty. My mum was about a year ago and she spent the best part of a day there, only for the defendant to change his plea to guilty after taking one look at the prospective jurors!

 
At 7/12/2006 9:18 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

Good that you got some knitting done though! Imagine how much more boring it would have been if you weren't a knitter.

 
At 7/13/2006 9:54 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Jasclo, I hope you don't get called, too! It's no fun.

Paisley, that's a funny story. And also, yes, you're right, it would have been much worse if I wasn't a knitter, considering I had finished BOTH books I brought. I did notice two other knitters in the jury panel as well.

 
At 7/13/2006 8:02 PM, Blogger Amie said...

I think I was supposed to say "Neither Jeremiah nor I"...LOL

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home