princess genevieve

jeudi, janvier 04, 2007

Adventures on the Bus, #252

There hasn't been a bus adventure in a while! Sorry about that - things got boring on ye olde public transportation. But 2007 is starting off with a bang!

I was sitting on the bus last night, and we stopped at a stop. A guy wearing those black and white checked chef's pants tried to climb on to the bus. Now. I must point out that unless you are in a wheelchair or use a walker or something, this is not particularly difficult. It's three steps up, with a handrail. So he tries to step in, and falls back down to the street. On the second try, he gets in to the bus. I've got a sneaking suspicion that he's drunk.

Next, he tries to pay the fare using his SmarTrip card. Again, this is not a particularly difficult endeavor. All you do is touch the card to the reader, and it automatically subtracts the fare. The reader is on the same little box where you would put your money if you were paying in cash. He rubs his SmarTrip card all over the fare box, and finally, the driver takes the card from him and touches the reader.

Next, he sort of stumbles back towards a seat, all the while complaining that there aren't very many open seats, which simply wasn't true. The bus wasn't empty, but it also wasn't crowded. I'm getting nervous. The bus is about to go forward, and he's not sitting. This is not going to end well.

And then. He falls. ONTO MY LAP. Well, to be more accurate, onto the bookbag I was holding in my lap, and I think he hit his head on my library book. I sort of pushed him back up, and he apologized. (and, um, yeah, he was definitely drunk.)

Hooray! I think that adventure makes up for any previous missing adventures, n'est pas?

Libellés :

7 Comments:

At 1/04/2007 12:15 PM, Blogger Amy M. said...

Wow. That's a good one. I actually laughed out loud. I hope his head didn't hurt your library book! ;)

 
At 1/04/2007 12:20 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

The book appears to have not sustained any injuries :-)

 
At 1/04/2007 4:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Whew! Glad to hear that your book came through the ordeal no worse for the wear!

 
At 1/04/2007 5:41 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

eew. At least he didn't throw up on you.

 
At 1/04/2007 5:44 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

sweet baby jesus, Paisley, I didn't even consider that. Is it possible to get PTSD from an imagined event? I think I have it now...

 
At 1/04/2007 5:49 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

PS - apparently, my sister thinks this is the funniest story evah. glad to be of service.

 
At 1/05/2007 10:06 AM, Blogger Mama said...

Your bus is like a jack-in-the-box - calming music lulling you into a daze and then POP! out comes a blog-worthy adventure :)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home