princess genevieve

mardi, février 27, 2007

Adventures of Grammar Girl

Last week's cry for ideas made Rachael leave a comment with several intriguing questions. After much thought, I decided to answer her question about superpowers.

Some of you may not realize it, but I've already got a superpower. You see, I can spot a misused apostrophe a mile off. It makes me a crazy person! Why do people insist on adding an apostrophe any time they add an "s" to a word? Restroom's are for Customer's Only, for example. No apostrophes needed!

All I need is a cape. And maybe a novelty pencil; red, of course.

If I could add another superpower? Time travel, for sure. Is that really a superpower or just something really really cool? I don't know, but either way, I want to be able to do it.

Libellés :

6 Comments:

At 2/27/2007 9:36 PM, Blogger Amie said...

I try to watch my apostrophes. On another grammar note, I find myself using the wrong then/than or hear/here. Even though I know in my mind which one I need, my fingers type the wrong one.

 
At 2/27/2007 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Today at work someone asked me if the plural of advisor was advisor's or advisors. Dude, I try not to be a grammar snob, but don't people learn these things somewhere along the way?

 
At 2/27/2007 11:36 PM, Blogger Jasclo said...

Oh yes, I'm famous for shouting, "And there's no apostrophe there, you idiot!"

Haha. OK, I don't really call people idiots for that. But come on! And I hate it when people don't understand how to use quote marks.

 
At 2/28/2007 2:25 AM, Blogger Sarah Q said...

it's not a superpower but i don't like when people write "myriad of." so, does the period go in or outside of the quotes? hmmmmm. i do think you need some Apostrophe Girl underoos.

 
At 2/28/2007 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

One of my dream jobs is to be the grammar police. If only I could find someone to pay me to go around and correct peoples' careless mistakes. I came up with this idea when I was at a restaurant that said on the bathroom door womans room, and mans room!

 
At 2/28/2007 2:48 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Sarah, what a lovely idea. Do you think they sell those underoos?

Amanda, maybe there is something genetically wrong with us. Something that makes us notice these mistakes and get outraged about them!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home