princess genevieve

lundi, novembre 12, 2007

Rubber

On Wednesday, when I was still in the Brussels office, our German intern asked me for a rubber. I started laughing. And honestly, I could not figure out what he was asking me for.

He then picks up a piece of paper and shows me pencil writing, and with his hand, makes a side to side motion.

"OH!" I say, realization dawning. "We call that an ERASER. I don't have one; go ask Ana."

I could hear him in Ana's office, saying, "Hi, Ana, have you got an eraser?"

I guess he didn't want to put two girls into fits of giggles on the same day.

It's entirely possible this is one of those British/Australian/American English language differences, and I just wasn't aware of this one.

Side note: In case you're wondering about the results of the movie poll, last time I checked before boarding the plane, Hot Rod and I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry were tied, so I watched both of those. They were both TERRIBLE. So if you voted for them because you wanted to know if they were worth your time to watch, I can safely say no. Please, don't watch either of these movies! One lost innocence is enough.

Libellés :

4 Comments:

At 11/12/2007 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Yup, it's a British thing. I saw Posh Spice in a TV interview about how her kids were doing with the move to the US, and she told a story about her kid telling his teacher that he had a whole collection of rubbers...

 
At 11/12/2007 8:13 PM, Blogger Paisley said...

It's an Australian thing too. I collected rubbers when I was a kid. "Eraser" is understood/used here as well, but sounds very formal.
Mind you, in the right context, rubbers can also be interpreted to mean prophylactics.

 
At 11/13/2007 11:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my! That is a hysterical story. I did not know that some places rubbers were erasers :-)

Sorry that those movies were both terrible, they looked like they had potential for terrible yet funny instead of just terrible.

 
At 11/13/2007 8:26 PM, Blogger Sarah Q said...

this reminds me of your story about the australians in france trying to ask for a napkin/serviette.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home