princess genevieve

mercredi, novembre 28, 2007

Shy

It's funny, sometimes, how you might think of yourself as one thing, and then all of a sudden you come to realize it's not accurate.

For forever, I thought I was shy. I've recently come to terms with the fact that, well, I'm not. Not really, at least. Sure, I might be a bit shy around new people, and I don't like going to large parties where I don't know anyone except the host, but I would venture to guess that nearly everyone has felt that, at least to some degree.

This realization dawned about a month ago, when I was in Brussels. In the Brussels office, normally, everyone eats lunch together in the kitchen. One day, I asked Ana if she was going up, and she said she had plans to meet a friend. So I said, "Oh, OK, maybe I'll just eat at my desk then." And Ana replied, "What, now all of a sudden you're SHY?!"

And I got all defensive. Me, shy? No! Of course not! Of course I can go meet other people in the kitchen without Ana. Off I went, and I had a very nice time that day, if I am remembering correctly.

I've been thinking about this since then. Ana, who met me in March, never thought of me as shy, obviously. I do things (and pretty much always have) that I think a truly shy person would never do, like knocking on a neighbor's door to introduce myself and ask them if they want to hang out. I did this fairly recently, like a year ago, when my neighbor Hugh first moved in, and now we're good friends. I also did this when I was 11, and my sister came home from riding her bike to tell me another family on the street also had an 11 year old girl. That girl is my friend Jayne, who just came to visit me in Brussels on my last trip.

So. I am officially renouncing the shy adjective I've given myself. You heard it here first.

Libellés :

4 Comments:

At 11/28/2007 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

A few people have called me "outgoing" and "upbeat," neither of which I feel most of the time...it's funny how we see ourselves vs. how other people do, and how far apart those things can be. Oh, well. There are worse things that people can observe, so I'll take it!

 
At 11/28/2007 4:29 PM, Blogger Amie said...

I get called shy sometimes, even though I'm not. I am quiet, but not shy. Some people just equate the two.

 
At 11/28/2007 4:33 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Amie, the funny thing is, I'm not even all that quiet. Well, actual speaking voice level, yes, but I talk A LOT. (unless I am just meeting you. Then I might be more quiet.)

 
At 11/29/2007 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I think there's a difference between being introverted and being shy, and sometimes they get confused. I can speak in front of a crowd, or introduce myself if I need to, sometimes I even like it. But afterwards I am often tired and drained and wanting to spend some time alone to recharge. People who see me in public roles have a hard time understanding that.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home