princess genevieve

samedi, décembre 08, 2007

Horse Cop!

I love police horses. I don't really know why - I would be scared to get too close to one. But I saw this one today in my neighborhood so I snapped the best darn picture the camera phone would take from across the street. Um, can you even see the horse?

When I was about 8, my friend Suzi's mom got pulled over by a cop on a horse for making an illegal left turn. I said, "What? You were in a car! Why didn't you just drive away? You could go faster than the horse!"

And then I got a lecture on how we respect authority, whether they are on horseback or not.

I will remember this if I ever get pulled over by a cop on a horse. Promise.

Libellés : ,

5 Comments:

At 12/09/2007 10:45 AM, Blogger Sarah Q said...

i think a cop on a horse conveys a positive sense of authority and a cop in a regular police car could easily just spell trouble.

 
At 12/09/2007 2:01 PM, Blogger Amie said...

I can see the horse! I had not idea there were still horse cops...

What is the purpose of them anyways?

 
At 12/09/2007 2:46 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

well, in New Orleans, they use horses during Mardi Gras. I think it helps with crowd control - the cop is up higher so can see over a large crowd, and also, people (esp. city people) tend to be a bit scared of the big animal and will stay out of its way.

in Washington, I know they use them in Rock Creek Park, which is one of the largest urban parks in the country. In my neighborhood I also sometimes see them patroling the streets - I think the police force likes them because it forces the officers to go more slowly than a car and really pay attention to what's going on. We also have cops on foot, bike, and segway!

 
At 12/09/2007 11:06 PM, Blogger chookie said...

hey Pal! I returned home from Phuket last night and this morning I awoke to a very lovely surprise. Just wanted to say thank you for the amazing goodies you have gifted me the last few months, and for being an awesome secret pal!! Hope to keep in touch :)

 
At 12/10/2007 11:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

We have one police horse cop where I live, I think it is just because there is a person who grew up loving horses and wanted to be a cop, they mostly just go visit the schools and wow the kids. In cities I think they have horse police because they can go places that cars can not in urban areas...they had them in St. Louis, though only in the downtown area...

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home