princess genevieve

lundi, juin 28, 2010

Oh, Look, I remembered I have a Blog!

It's been really hot here in Washington. Really hot and really humid. And it's gotten me homesick. Not just homesick, but timesick. Is that a word? I'm homesick for a specific place and a specific time.

I miss my grandparents' old house on Lucy Court, in River Ridge, right outside of New Orleans, in the late 1980s. My sisters and I would fly down (without our parents!) every summer, and spend our time hanging out with our cousins and our aunts, who we did not see for most of the year. My grandparents had a pool, and every afternoon, unless disrupted by a thunderstorm, we would swim. (The thunderstorm thing was a fairly frequent problem, though.)

This was when the cousins could still be divided into older and younger sets. I was the oldest of them all, and me, my sisters, and our cousins Katie and Lee spent our time making up crazy jumps off the diving board. Anne Yvette was the oldest of the younger cousins. She didn't like to swim, so she would sit on the steps of the shallow end, water wings and sunglasses on.

I guess I can't go back in time, and my family no longer owns the house on Lucy Court, but I am going to book a weekend home for August. Because it's not summer without a snowball from Plum Street.

Libellés :

2 Comments:

At 6/28/2010 3:53 PM, Blogger trash said...

Hola! I hear you, 'timesick' is a good way to describe that feeling.

 
At 6/28/2010 9:02 PM, Blogger Amie said...

Oh, I can relate. My dad sold my grandparents farm a couple years ago and I was devastated! To think that it wasn't going to be a part of my own children's lives really really hurt.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home