princess genevieve

mardi, octobre 13, 2009

Fall Into Reading Update

1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson
2. The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery
3. Brooklyn, by Colm Toibin
4. An Echo in the Bone, by Diana Gabaldon
5. Sammy's Hill, by Kristin Gore
6. The White Queen, by Philippa Gregory
7. Dead and Gone, by Charlaine Harris

So, as you can see, I added two more books to my list, which I've already read. I'm currently working on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. If this were not a book club pick, I never would have chosen it. If this were not a book club pick, I would not have gotten past the prologue. But it is, and although I'm not opposed to giving up on book club picks, I'm about 200 pages in and getting somewhat interested in the story. I'm just not much of a mystery reader in general.

As for the others, well, I loved An Echo in the Bone, but I expected to. I wouldn't recommend it if you haven't read the other 6 Outlander books, though. I even got to go to a book signing with Diana Gabaldon! I got my copy signed, and one for my sister.

Sammy's Hill was cute. I chose this one because I found it on the bookshelf in my communal laundry room, and I like books that take place in Washington. I liked it enough to get the second one, Sammy's House, from the library.

The White Queen was not my favorite Philippa Gregory book. By far. It just didn't seem as well written, and the story did not draw me in in the same way that others of hers have.

And Dead and Gone, well, I love Sookie Stackhouse! One more unread to go in the series.

Libellés :

8 Comments:

At 10/13/2009 8:59 PM, Anonymous jayne said...

I just finished Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night at work. I actually really liked it, though it was a little graphic violence wise.

 
At 10/14/2009 2:22 AM, Blogger Paisley said...

I've got The Elegance of the Hedgehog sitting on my bedside table - it's up next after Mr Darcy, Vampyre!

 
At 10/14/2009 9:46 AM, Blogger Rachael said...

I didn't know the next Outlander book was out! I'll have to get that at the library next time I go... ;)

 
At 10/14/2009 9:50 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Jayne, I'm kind of really getting in to the Dragon Tattoo now. I'm a little more than halfway through.

P, I want to read Mr Darcy, Vampyre, too!!

Rach, do you want to borrow my copy? it might be a long wait to get it from the library as it JUST came out 3 weeks ago.

 
At 10/15/2009 5:12 PM, Anonymous Meghan said...

I feel like Phillippa Gregory's writing has gotten progressively sloppier. Maybe she is trying to churn out bestsellers too fast? It's such a shame, because I love the stories, but the writing has really started to get on my nerves. I recommend People of the Book, by Geraldine Brooks.

 
At 10/15/2009 10:19 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Meghan, I agree about Phillippa Gregory. I've read People of the Book - I liked it, but I actually liked Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks a lot more. Have you read that one? I've got it if you want to borrow.

 
At 10/21/2009 1:08 PM, Blogger Amy M. said...

You're doing great with your list! I think I'm going to add to mine as well.

GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO has probably the worst beginning/ending to a suspense book I have ever seen. it's no wonder you almost gave up. If you can get past the boring libel stuff, the central storyline moves very quickly. It's gruesome though!!!

-A

 
At 11/06/2009 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I loved Girl with a Dragon Tattoo so much that I devoured the Girl Who Played with Fire, and had to special order the third and last The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest from the U.K. I am a big mystery buff, but Scandinavian mysteries are pretty dark. I suggest trying some of the Soho Crime books (they're all mysteries set in "exotic" places - half travel novel/half mystery). I think you would love Cara Black's series which all take place in Paris. I have been stopping and starting over and over with The Elegance of the Hedgehog. I have to finish it because I also bought its sequel. Rebeccah

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home