princess genevieve

mardi, février 21, 2006

Being John Malkovich


Can you see the words on the faucet? One says chaud and the other, cold. And that, in a photo, is why I love Quebec.

I'm fascinated by a place where they speak both French and English, and where many people can seamlessly switch back and forth. While sitting at a bar on Sunday night, I decided it takes a special talent to be able to switch back and forth, and to remember who to speak which language with. Especially as I wanted to speak in French and Robin, English. Our bartender had to switch back and forth just to talk to the two of us!

So, as you can tell, we did finally make it to Quebec, on Saturday night. It was cold... I think the coldest weather I've ever been in. With the wind, the temperatures were somewhere around -30 C. (I don't know what that is in Fahrenheit... cold!) It snowed yesterday and Sunday, but just light sparkly flakes.

Saturday night when we got there, my friend Nizar and some of his friends came and picked us up, and took us first to their apartment for a little party, and then to a bar. Nizar told me that he loves when native English speakers speak French. He thinks the accent is charming. I asked him what he thought of my accent, and he said, "It's beautiful. Like John Malkovich!" I'm not exactly sure what to make of that... I think I'll take it as a compliment, since that's how he was presenting it!

We went to a couple of museums and learned a lot about the history of Quebec and La Nouvelle-France. I really liked one museum as in addition to all the Quebec stuff, they had a lot on the history of Francophone America, including Louisiana.

More pictures here!

4 Comments:

At 2/21/2006 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Love the photos! I'm glad that you guys finally made it and had a good time. So cool that everyone there is bilingual...I imagine the history is fascinating.

 
At 2/21/2006 1:15 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Thanks, Jayne! It is really interesting -- I think you will like it there.

 
At 2/22/2006 8:42 AM, Blogger Amie said...

Brrr...thats cold!

Wouldn't it be cool if we could hear our own accents? Its weird to think of an "English" accent.

 
At 2/22/2006 11:01 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Amie, I can definitely hear really bad English accents in French. Mine is apparently not really bad, although I wish I could hear it so I would know how to make it better!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home