princess genevieve

mardi, juillet 25, 2006

What's Cookin'?

For my birthday, Robin took me to a cooking class at Roberto Donna's restaurant, Galileo. Roberto Donna is a famous chef in Washington; I'm not sure if he's famous elsewhere, though! He is from Torino, Italy, and during the Olympics, he did a segment on the Today show.

Anyway, Chef Donna taught us how to make a five course meal involving fish. We made a salad with shrimp, potatoes, and mushrooms (1), baby octopus with polenta (2), pasta with tuna bolognese sauce (3), cod with potatoes and garlic sauce (4), and fish soup, which had shrimp, baby octopus, mussels, clams, and squid in it (5). Ending with some sort of pastry, which we did not make. It was all delicious, and I can't decide what my favorite dish was. I don't even like tuna, but I loved the bolognese sauce.

It was sort of like being on the Food channel! Chef Donna would show us how do to things, like how to smash garlic, how to cook onions, etc, and we would then all do it. Some stuff he just showed us and we didn't try it out. My favorite part was making the pasta. It felt so soft. It took about 3 hours to make dinner.

The wine was free flowing, there were helpers who threw away your trash, did your dishes, and set everything up for you, and you got an apron to take home. And again, I got to be surprised at how many people freak out about things like shrimp with their heads on and baby octopus. SUCH FUN for a girl who has been peeling her own shrimp since she could eat solid foods.

5 Comments:

At 7/25/2006 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I think he is pretty famous outside of DC. He was on Iron Chef America last season! I actually think he has been a challanger twice on that show. Sounds like a great time.
-Leslie

 
At 7/25/2006 11:11 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

oh, cool! I didn't see that episode. Did he win?

 
At 7/25/2006 11:58 AM, Blogger Molly said...

I have never heard of him, but that does not mean much :-) Sounds like it was a lot of fun! Cooking classes rock and it sounds like it was a good setup. Making your own pasta is very addicting, what kind did you make?

 
At 7/25/2006 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I saw him in Iron Chef America too, but only the 2nd time. He got to go back because he really screwed up the first time around and didn't finish his dishes in time (which was an automatic loss...how embarrassing)! I can't remember if he won the 2nd time or not.

 
At 7/26/2006 11:24 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Jayne, someone in my office told me she remembers he won the second time - that after the first embarrassing loss of not finishing, he practiced for a year & timed himself so he could get it down. It's really hard, 5 dishes in an hour!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home